Pages

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Pinterest Review - DIY Fruit Snacks

What have I been up to lately?  Not nearly enough.  But what I have been doing has including trying some recipes from Pinterest.  Because sometimes you just have to find out if you really can make your own fruit snacks.

Which you can.

And I did.

Here's how.

Home-made Jell-o Fruit Snacks

Ingredients:
1 (3 oz) package gelatin, any flavor
2 (.25 oz) envelopes unflavored gelatin
1/3 c. water

Directions:
Sprinkle the gelatin over the water in a small saucepan.  Heat over medium heat and stir until gelatin is completely dissolved.  Pour into molds and allow to set at least 20 minutes.

And then you have to put on your patience pants because otherwise you'll try them before they're fully set and they will really stick to your teeth and you'll wonder if you look like a dog who's been given peanut butter.  Because that's what you'll feel like.  But once you actually let them sit for long enough, they're not bad.

But I don't think I'll make them again.  Here's why:
  • It's not economical.  Once you purchase both the Knox gelatin and the Jell-o, it's probably about the same cost as buying regular fruit snacks.  Maybe more expensive because this recipe makes a very small quantity... 
  • They don't taste any better.  I used sugar free Jell-o, and while I thought they were kinda tart, Rhy thought they were too sweet.  And they are only okay for flavor.  But I guess if you have a Jell-o flavor that you're over-the-moon about, maybe it would be a good option for you.
  • They're not any better for you.  Isn't the whole reason to make things at home instead of purchasing them so you can make better-for-you items?  I don't think that is happening with this recipe.  I mean, you're using packaged Jell-o and packaged Knox gelatin.  I'd rather use my Knox with real fruit juice and make Knox Blox instead.

Oh, brain-storm!  Bug Juice* flavored Knox Blox!  Who's with me?!?!

Thank you to Six Sister's Stuff for the recipe!


*And for all of you that didn't grow up in my household, mixing red KoolAid with orange juice makes Bug Juice.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment