Pages

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Pinterest Review: Ham and Potato Soup

Last Thanksgiving we had a bunch of turkey, potatoes, onion, and celery left over.  I was looking for a recipe that I could use up those ingredients with.  I came across a Ham and Potato Soup pin, which looked perfect.  Okay, soup it is!

Ham and Potato Soup

(About 8 servings)
Ingredients:
  • 3 and 1/2 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 1/3 cup celery, diced
  • 1/3 cup onion, diced
  • 7 ounces cooked ham, diced
  • 3 and 1/4 cups water
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 5 tablespoons butter
  • 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups 2% milk
Directions:
  1. In a large pot, combine the diced potatoes, celery, onion, ham, and water, and bring it to a boil.
  2. Reduce the heat to Medium and cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
  3. Stir in the chicken broth, salt, and pepper.
  4. In a saucepan, over Medium heat, melt the butter.
  5. Whisk in the flour, stirring constantly, until it’s thick.
  6. Slowly stir in the milk and stir constantly until it has gotten slightly thick again.
  7. Stir the milk mixture into the pot of soup and cook it until it’s heated through.
Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator.

Now, obviously this was just a jumping-off point for me.  I used turkey, not ham.  And to be honest, I really don't think that I measured much of anything.

Here's the thing about this recipe - it doesn't call for any seasonings/spices!  That just resulted in all kinds of question marks on my face because, well, it didn't taste.  So I pulled out some seasonings and started adding.  I don't know exactly what all I added, but there was some red chili powder, some garlic bread powder, and possibly some Lowery's Seasoned Salt.

I am keeping this recipe, despite the lack of seasoning, because it gives me a good base and then I just add seasonings to taste.  I will make it again when I have the ingredients on hand, perhaps this Thanksgiving?

No comments:

Post a Comment