Pages

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Sugar Free Applesauce Raspberry Jell-o Salad - no, really, it's good!

Lesley at work (Hi!) gave me a recipe of a Jell-o Salad that her Mom makes for the holidays.  It involved applesauce, which I had NEVER heard of putting in to Jell-o, so I took it as a challenge and made it!

Um, she didn't give me a name for the recipe so I'ma gonna call it...

Applesauce Raspberry Jell-o Salad


Yes, descriptive.  I know.  We are a descriptive lot, my family.  After all, our pets included Kitty (later renamed Mama Kitty), Birdie, BunBun (our bunny, naturally), and Ducks (go ahead, guess).

Here's how you make it:


  • Boil 2 cups of natural or sugar free applesauce.
  • Add 1 large package of sugar free raspberry Jell-o.  Stir to mix it all up good.  I use a whisk because I don't have much occasion to use one, and I'm not going to pass this up!
  • Add in 2 cups of cold Diet Red Pop.  I used Faygo.  I've also used Diet Cherry 7-Up, which I preferred.  Mix.  It'll get frothy, but will lose its froth as it sets.
  • Mix in 2 cups of raspberries.  Fresh would most likely work, but I've used frozen (no sugar added) raspberries.  In fact, I've put the Jell-o mixture into the dish first, and then added the raspberries, but this is where I'm allowing you to get a little wild and add the berries when you want, and you could even use mixed berries!  Whatever you like!  Go wild!!!
  • Now, this is the hard part:  Let the Jell-o salad set up.  Yes, yes, I know.  You want to try it.  You think, "oh, it's been two hours, it must be fine to try."  But it's not.  It really needs more time.  Give it a good 4-5 hours, or overnight even!  If you try it too soon, then it's not set up yet, and it's not tangy enough yet.


Did I mention it will be tangy?  Because it will be.

Now, did you see what I did up there?  I had you use sugar free or diet items.  This should make it lower in sugar and lower in calories.  Hopefully that makes up for the fact that I made some this morning and it's already gone.  Let's see, how many servings of fruit did I end up having today????  I swear Jeff helped eat it!

Let me know if you like it!  Or any versions that you might come up with.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment