Um, she didn't give me a name for the recipe so I'ma gonna call it...
Applesauce Raspberry Jell-o Salad
Yes, descriptive. I know. We are a descriptive lot, my family. After all, our pets included Kitty (later renamed Mama Kitty), Birdie, BunBun (our bunny, naturally), and Ducks (go ahead, guess).
Here's how you make it:
- Boil 2 cups of natural or sugar free applesauce.
- Add 1 large package of sugar free raspberry Jell-o. Stir to mix it all up good. I use a whisk because I don't have much occasion to use one, and I'm not going to pass this up!
- Add in 2 cups of cold Diet Red Pop. I used Faygo. I've also used Diet Cherry 7-Up, which I preferred. Mix. It'll get frothy, but will lose its froth as it sets.
- Mix in 2 cups of raspberries. Fresh would most likely work, but I've used frozen (no sugar added) raspberries. In fact, I've put the Jell-o mixture into the dish first, and then added the raspberries, but this is where I'm allowing you to get a little wild and add the berries when you want, and you could even use mixed berries! Whatever you like! Go wild!!!
- Now, this is the hard part: Let the Jell-o salad set up. Yes, yes, I know. You want to try it. You think, "oh, it's been two hours, it must be fine to try." But it's not. It really needs more time. Give it a good 4-5 hours, or overnight even! If you try it too soon, then it's not set up yet, and it's not tangy enough yet.
Did I mention it will be tangy? Because it will be.
Now, did you see what I did up there? I had you use sugar free or diet items. This should make it lower in sugar and lower in calories. Hopefully that makes up for the fact that I made some this morning and it's already gone. Let's see, how many servings of fruit did I end up having today???? I swear Jeff helped eat it!
Let me know if you like it! Or any versions that you might come up with.
Have a great day!