Pages

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Growing Green Onions in Water & Reviewing The Pioneer Woman's Sour Cream Noodle Bake

We have a bundle of green onions sitting in a mason jar of water on the kitchen counter.  Pinterest said it would work, and it did!

I purchased the bunch of onions as a recipe ingredient, a recipe I found (where else) on Pinterest.  Sour Cream Noodle Bake.  Very yummy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From The Pioneer Woman:

Ingredients

  • 1-1/4 pound Ground Chuck
  • 1 can 15-ounces Tomato Sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • Freshly Ground Black Pepper
  • 8 ounces, weight Egg Noodles
  • 1/2 cup Sour Cream
  • 1-1/4 cup Small Curd Cottage Cheese
  • 1/2 cup Sliced Green Onions (less To Taste)
  • 1 cup Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese

Preparation Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Brown ground chuck in a large skillet. Drain fat, then add tomato sauce. 1/2 teaspoon salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Stir, then simmer while you prepare the other ingredients.
Cook egg noodles until al dente. Drain and set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine sour cream and cottage cheese. Add plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Add to noodles and stir. Add green onions and stir.
To assemble, add half of the noodles to a baking dish. Top with half the meat mixture, then sprinkle on half the grated cheddar. Repeat with noodles, meat, then a final layer of cheese. Bake for 20 minutes, or until all cheese is melted.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


The first time I made it, I had all the ingredients except for the green onions.   So I cut up fresh spinach instead.  We all liked the recipe, so a week later I stocked up on the ingredients again, including the green onions (you can really taste the difference between spinach and green onion).  That was a week ago, and now they've grown so much, I needed to cut and use them in a recipe again!


So last night I made potatoes to go along with the baked chicken (coated in Italian seasoned crumbs) and microwave steamed broccoli.  I fried them with garlic salt and pepper, and added in green onion.  I just cut off the ends of each of the onions and used scissors to cut pieces off.  They're short again, just taller than the cup.  Will they grow again?   

And how was the meal?  Yummy!  Rhy said we need to eat meals like that more often...  I sure wish I liked cooking better...

No comments:

Post a Comment