Pages

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Pinterest Reviews - desserts made with boxed cake mix

Ah, the 15th of the month.  Payday for me.  Or, well, yesterday was payday since today is a Saturday.  Let's try on this new "Pinterest Reviews on the 1st & 15th" format for size, shall we?

As I had mentioned before, I signed our family up for Fellowship Team at church, which means every 8 weeks I have an excuse to bake obscene amounts of deliciousness.  We had to trade our week as we couldn't be there this past Sunday, so exactly 2 weeks ago today, I spent the day baking.






Directions

1
 In bowl, dump dry cake mix, eggs and pie filling. Stir together until well mixed. Bake in greased 9x13, 350 degrees for 35 minutes or test with toothpick for doneness.
2
 NOTE: Pair flavors of cake mix and pie filling. Apple filling with maybe butter pecan cake mix. Cherry pie filling with a devil's food cake mix, etc. I enjoy a pineapple cake mix with blueberry filling.
3
 FOR AN EXTRA INCH TO THE HIPS: Chop room temp cream cheese into chunks. Poke the chunks randomly into the batter after pouring it in the baking pan. Make sure the cheese is in deep. Continue to bake. I do this with a strawberry cake mix and strawberry filling and also the blueberry filling.


I saw this recipe before I went to store.  Knowing we had a box of double fudge chocolate cake mix, I picked up a mixed berry pie filling.  I baked it while I was getting ready for church, then frosted it with cream cheese frosting at the church.  I think next time I will use fewer strong flavors.  You could barely get the fruit flavors because all you tasted was the cream cheese or chocolate (not a bad thing, of course)!  Maybe a vanilla cake mix with apple pie filling and Cool Whip frosting with some nutmeg sprinkled on top?  Mmmmm...  


2 Ingredient Lemon Bars
I've made this recipe before, more than 5 years ago (I remember that because it was before I moved into the condo), but I didn't remember that I'd tried the recipe until after I made it.

Mix one can of lemon pie filling and one box of angel food cake.  Bake 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  When I pulled it out of the oven, then I remembered that I had made it before.  Because it was the amazing shrinking cake!!!  It had pulled away from the sides and kept doing it.  It was good, but super duper sweet and not something I would make for the purpose of taking somewhere for others.  It could be a good base though, to some sort of recipe including maybe strawberries and whipped cream...  If you do something like that, let me know!




What's up for the next addition of Pinterest Reviews?  Well, there are some "mexican casseroles" that I've been wanting to try.  Maybe that will be on the menu this weekend!  Check back on the first of the month to see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment