Pages

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Vintage Photo (oops I missed) Friday: Texas vacation 1977

Don't jump Tina - it could hurt!

Back in the 70s Mom & Dad had a lot of pictures developed to slides.  For those of you too young to know what slides are, it's when you take the negative and put it in a little cardboard frame, and then shine a light through it to project it onto the wall.  And, well, if you're still looking at the monitor with your head tilted and a "what?" look on your face, click here.  Your generation has missed so much...

Where was I?  Oh, right, slides.  So we had these carousels of slides.  And we would have slides shows!  Mom & Dad would pull down the shade in their room and it would be the entertainment for the evening.  There was only so much on those 3 TV stations that came in when I was a kid.  Heck, Tina & I are still known to ask for slide shows.  True story.

There is a story that I vaguely remember - it probably happened when I was 4 because that's when all my stories happened.  We were having a slide show of the 1977 vacation to Texas and I said something along the lines of "I remember that!", to which everyone laughed and said "No you don't; you were still in Mom's tummy!"

Exhibit A:  pregnant Mom & only-child Tina.  I do not know what's going on with Mom's sleeves on that shirt...


Well, if there's anything that I don't like, then and now, it's being told that I'm wrong.  And I had just been told I was wrong and laughed at.  Unacceptable.  I may have stomped my foot.  Details are fuzzy.

My response was (and I'm paraphrasing here, because, you know, 30 years have gone by...) "I do to remember!  There was a window in Mom's tummy and I could see out!"  And to this day, I am still reminded that I said that.  And then they laugh again.

At least now, I'm laughing too.  :-)

1 comment:

  1. I swear I posted a comment yesterday when I read this...but maybe I forgot to hit "publish"...so I'm repeating it today...

    Could your dad have possibly gotten any further away when he took this picture??? If he had been closer, we may have been able to see the "window in Mom's tummy"! LOL

    ReplyDelete