Pages

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Book Review: The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott

This, my friends, is a Pinterest Book Review.  I have a board called "Books to read?" because when I go to the library I have a hard time figuring out how to find a book I might like.  I don't read as much as I did before I met Jeff, but hey, before he came into the picture I didn't have TV or internet and spent all my time alone.  And the summer before I met him, I was laid off every other week, so I had a lot of time on my hands.  And I went to the library every single day.  Yes, I was a regular.  They probably thought I had fallen off the face of the Earth, but then I went in and found this book to read.


"Tess, an aspiring seamstress, thinks she's had an incredibly lucky break when she is hired by famous designer Lady Lucile Duff Gordon to be a personal maid on the Titanic's doomed voyage. Once on board, Tess catches the eye of two men, one a roughly-hewn but kind sailor and the other an enigmatic Chicago millionaire. But on the fourth night, disaster strikes. 
 
Amidst the chaos and desperate urging of two very different suitors, Tess is one of the last people allowed on a lifeboat. Tess’s sailor also manages to survive unharmed, witness to Lady Duff Gordon’s questionable actions during the tragedy. Others—including the gallant Midwestern tycoon—are not so lucky. 
 
On dry land, rumors about the survivors begin to circulate, and Lady Duff Gordon quickly becomes the subject of media scorn and later, the hearings on the Titanic. Set against a historical tragedy but told from a completely fresh angle, The Dressmaker is an atmospheric delight filled with all the period's glitz and glamour, all the raw feelings of a national tragedy and all the contradictory emotions of young love."



I like to read historical fiction.  It's definitely my preference.  I was really happy that they had been rescued and onto dry land by the time this book was 1/4 done.  There was a lot of aftermath, both with Titanic hearings (they took from the actual transcripts of the hearings for dialog) as well as what happens to Tess in her personal life.  I would recommend this book to anyone who wants an easy yet interesting read.

What have you been reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment