Pages

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Fruity Crispies Recipe

The best part about being on the Fellowship Committee for church is that I get to try out recipes and then promptly get rid of the evidence.  :-)

I love the fruit rice crispy treats that we can get at our local gas station, and I thought they would be a hit at church with the kids.  I figure you probably don't need a recipe, but I'll make one here for you, just in case.

Just in case of what?  Oh, in case you're like me and need a recipe in order to make rice crispy treats.  That's right, I had to look it up.  And of course I have a tendency to use the whole bag of marshmallows ( I really like marshmallow-y treats), this is approximately the ingredients I used.

Fruity Crispies
4-5 cups of Rice Crispies cereal
4-5 cups of Fruity Pebbles cereal
1 stick of butter
1 bag of marshmallows
a splash o' milk

I make my rice crispy treats on the stove.  First, be a good little boy scout and measure out your cereal (always be prepared).  Speaking of being prepared, make your life easy and put some parchment paper on a jelly roll pan (or, as we in the MidWest call them, cookie sheet).  Don't cut the paper to size, just kinda sit it on there.  And either butter it or spray it with Pam.  

Next, melt the butter in a big ol' pot.  Put the marshmallows in the pot.  Stir it all around wondering how freaking long it's going to take before the marshmallows are melted and wouldn't people actually like to get a big hunk of marshmallow in their treat so do they really need to be all melted all the way?  Splash in the milk.  I don't know why.  But I found a recipe that does it, and it seemed to smooth out the butter/marshmallow mixture.  

Stir in the cereal as if your life depended on it.  Once it's all mixed up, plop it on the parchment paper covered cookie sheet.  Get out a big hard plastic spoon (you use these right?  it's not just me?  the black ones that you use to stir up your dinner that you're making on the stove, you know the ones) and spray the back of it with Pam.  Use it to smoosh down and smooth out the treats.

Wait.

When they're "set", put the paper and treats off of the cookie sheet.  It makes it easier to cut them.  We have a big huge pizza cutter - you know, the piece of metal that's almost 2 feet long and looks like they use it at the pizza place.  Made it really easy to cut.  But if you don't have that, I bet a rotary pizza cutter would work, and I know for a fact that your largest knife in the kitchen works well too.  The key is that you don't have to worry about the sides of the pan.  Makes it so much easier.

Verdict?  They were excellent.  And there was a smaller crowd that usual at church (new church location opened, means we have fewer people coming to our church each week, plus, you know, it's summer and fewer people go to church in the summer because they're out camping, as crazy as that sounds.)  There weren't very many kids, but a lot of adults liked them.  I made two batches and cut them into small pieces.  I only needed to make one batch.  Seriously.  One of that ladies said that treats from our house are always so colorful.  Drat.  Now I need to keep up the rainbow colored treat streak...



2 comments:

  1. You can send that second, "unnecessary" batch to my house! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering at the sight...they sound soooo good!

    ~Susana

    ReplyDelete