BUT, last night I DID make dinner! Full on freaking dinner, with protein, veggies, and a starch! Go me! And now, I bring you
- 1 to 1.25 pounds ground turkey (I used 1.25 pounds of lean ground turkey)
- 1 or 2 eggs (your preference, I use more eggs than meatloaf recipes call for)
- 1 box of Stove Top or your preferred stuffing mix (which Google tells me is 6 ounces)
- 1 cup
- chopped onions & celery, probably 1-2 tablespoons of each, depending on your preference
Smoosh everything together, just like any other meatloaf recipe you've ever made. I must tell you, it will look like too much stuffing mix, but it's not. And the turkey needs those seasonings. I was leary of the water, but it needed it because of the dryness of the stuffing mix. I would suggest using broth instead, for flavor. Make your liquid work for you!
Plop it in your meatloaf pan* and bake on 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. Enjoy!
So, how did we like it? I think I liked it better than Jeff or Rhy, but I know that Jeff is a meatloaf purist, so even though I told him that it wouldn't taste like "regular" meatloaf, I think he was a bit disappointed, but said we should have it again.
What changes would I make?
- I would use more rather than less stuffing mix. I probably only used 4-5 ounces, and it could have used more flavor (but still yummy and I was very happy with the outcome).
- I would use broth instead of water, for more flavor, but I used water last night.
- It doesn't really translate well to leftovers (which I learned at lunch today), so I would probably put a spoonful of gravy in the leftover box, for extra flavor and moisture.
- Maybe add some craisens? I don't think that would have gone over very well in my house, but I think it would be interesting, and, afterall, it is called "Thanksgiving Meatloaf."
*I don't have a meatloaf pan. Or a loaf pan. For a couple three years I've been using a round cake pan and baking the meatloaf in the toaster oven. The first time Jeff was perplexed that a meatloaf could be in that shape, but it's normal now. :-)