Pages

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Making Thanksgiving Meatloaf

We've been busy little bees for quite a while around here.  Rhy went to Germany(!) and while she was gone we were busy with a trip to a family gathering and getting her room ready for her return (more on that in future blogs).  What I wasn't busy doing for the last month+ was cooking/baking.  So I had a hard time figuring out what to write for the last post of July.
BUT, last night I DID make dinner!  Full on freaking dinner, with protein, veggies, and a starch!  Go me!  And now, I bring you

Thanksgiving Meatloaf

  • 1 to 1.25 pounds ground turkey (I used 1.25 pounds of lean ground turkey)
  • 1 or 2 eggs (your preference, I use more eggs than meatloaf recipes call for)
  • 1 box of Stove Top or your preferred stuffing mix (which Google tells me is 6 ounces)
  • 1 cup water broth
  • chopped onions & celery, probably 1-2 tablespoons of each, depending on your preference

Smoosh everything together, just like any other meatloaf recipe you've ever made.  I must tell you, it will look like too much stuffing mix, but it's not.  And the turkey needs those seasonings.  I was leary of the water, but it needed it because of the dryness of the stuffing mix.  I would suggest using broth instead, for flavor.  Make your liquid work for you!

Plop it in your meatloaf pan* and bake on 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.  Enjoy!


So, how did we like it?  I think I liked it better than Jeff or Rhy, but I know that Jeff is a meatloaf purist, so even though I told him that it wouldn't taste like "regular" meatloaf, I think he was a bit disappointed, but said we should have it again.

What changes would I make? 
  • I would use more rather than less stuffing mix.  I probably only used 4-5 ounces, and it could have used more flavor (but still yummy and I was very happy with the outcome).
  • I would use broth instead of water, for more flavor, but I used water last night.
  • It doesn't really translate well to leftovers (which I learned at lunch today), so I would probably put a spoonful of gravy in the leftover box, for extra flavor and moisture.
  • Maybe add some craisens?  I don't think that would have gone over very well in my house, but I think it would be interesting, and, afterall, it is called "Thanksgiving Meatloaf."


*I don't have a meatloaf pan.  Or a loaf pan.  For a couple three years I've been using a round cake pan and baking the meatloaf in the toaster oven.  The first time Jeff was perplexed that a meatloaf could be in that shape, but it's normal now.  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment