Pages

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Glitter-ifying bedroom accessories!

So, Rhyanne's favorite color is glitter.  (Don't try to tell her that glitter isn't a color; it won't work.)  So while she was in Germany this summer and we were working on giving her room a make-over, I worked on glittering a few accessories for her room

Pinterest was pretty inspirational for these projects.  I really don't think I would have thought to cover her light switch cover in glitter if it wasn't for Pinterest.

Luckily, I knew the wonders of Mod Podge and how it would be an essential part of the project.  So I headed off to the craft store to pick up fine silver glitter and Mod Podge.  I had all the accessories, so it was a fairly inexpensive project.

The first thing I glittered was the light switch cover.  I just painted on a layer of Mod Podge and sprinkled the glitter on top.  After it dried and I shook off the access, I knew it needed a second coat.  I was really worried about this project, so I made sure to really coat the top layer of glitter down with Mod Podge.  It's held up beautifully!

glittery goodness when you walk in the room!

Next was a glittered Mason jar.  Have you seen all the Mason jars on Pinterest?  Apparently you can do just about anything with them.  You can paint them, turn them into a light fixture, hang them from the trees with candles in them, even make a snow globe with them!
a glittery Sharpie holder...
Well, even thought I don't have Mason jars, I have canning jars, and probably most people on Pinterest don't realize that Mason is a brand.  So that didn't matter.  I took the idea of making a glitter jar from Pinterest and ran with it.  Here is a key point to consider if making a glittery Mason Jar:

  • It doesn't have to be Mason, or even a canning jar.  You can use your empty pickle jar if you want.
  • Decide what you're using the jar for.  Do you want to put flowers in it?  Then glitter the outside of the jar.  I decided to glitter the inside of the jar because I figured, hey, maybe less glitter will escape throughout the house that way.
  • Try not to use too much Mod Podge before you add the glitter.  Mine was a bit too thick in areas, and it took 3 days for it to dry to clear!
  • If you want to protect your glitter, coat it with the Mod Podge as a protecting layer.  Kind of like how you put a clear top coat on after you paint your nails.

The last project I finished was the mirror.  I'd had a couple of good size rectangle mirrors for YEARS.  They didn't sell at my garage sale, and I knew that someday I would find a place to use them, so they stayed hanging in my garage.  That day had come!  I cleaned up one of the mirrors and glittered the heck out of it!  I didn't glitter the edges, and I wasn't too worried about some thin spots, but I think it looks great where Rhy hung it under the loft!


I could have covered so many other things in glitter, but I stopped myself.  I think these small items stand out in her room.  But I also know that if she had one, the blades of her ceiling fan would be glitter-ified too...

No comments:

Post a Comment