Pages

Friday, November 1, 2013

Pinterest Review: Three Envelope Pot Roast

We're not big beef eaters.  Neither Jeff nor I will order a steak, he doesn't ask for roast or beef tips.  But the other day, while perusing Pinterest, I pinned a Pot Roast recipe, and so then of course I had a hankerin' for some pot roast.

Only way to make roast in my world is in a crock pot.  I don't want to know how hard and tough it would be otherwise.  Plus I prefer to shred the roast and throw it back into the juice.

I actually had to ask the butcher at the store what roast to use for a pot roast.  True story.  He showed me the rump roast and said those would fall apart real nice.  I am not above asking people questions at the grocery store.  Often times they are older women who look like they cook, but sometimes it's actual employees.

3 Envelope Pot Roast

  • 3 to 5 pound beef chuck roast (or other braising roast)
  • 1 cup of water
  • One envelope of dry onion soup mix
  • One envelope of dry Italian dressing mix
  • One envelope of dry brown gravy mix
  • 1 (8 ounce) jar of Pace Original Mild Picante Sauce
Whisk together the water with ingredients from all 3 of the envelopes. Pour about 1/4 cup of the liquid on the bottom of the crockpot, place the roast on top. Don't be tempted to season the roast. There is plenty of salt and other seasonings in these envelopes.

Pour the remaining liquid mixture all over the top and all around the roast. Pour the jar of picante sauce on top of the roast, cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or on high 4 to 5 hours.

................
I didn't have 8 hours to let it cook, but I know that low & slow is best, so I started on low for a few hours then changed to high.  The way the recipe is written didn't call for enough liquid for the roast to be covered, which I thought was weird, so I put in the beef stock I had, plus water until it was covered.  I eventually had to take the roast out of the crockpot in order to shred it; the fibers were going the wrong way for me to do it within the pot.

Verdict:  Oh so yummy!  I buttered and grilled little buns, and a caramelized mushrooms & onions.  I threw some "steam it" bag of potatoes & beans in the microwave and called it a full meal.  Jeff really enjoyed it, even though the cooking smells tried to turn his stomach (like I said, he's not so into roast).  It was also really good the next day for lunch, even though I didn't take any bread.

This has been moved to the "will make again" board...

No comments:

Post a Comment