Pages

Friday, November 15, 2013

Pinterest Review: Veggie Burrito Bowls

I try to make some vegetarian meals.  It doesn't happen as often as it should, but I try.

So when I saw these Veggie Burrito Bowls on Pinterest I knew that we had to try them.  It didn't hurt that the picture looked kind of like the burrito bowls at Chipotle...

Veggie Burrito Bowls


  • 100g brown rice
  • 1tbsp sunflower oil
  • 3 spring onions, finely chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 bell pepper (I used green, but any colour will do)
  • ~12 cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1tsp hot chilli powder (adjust as desired!)
  • 1½ tsp smoked paprika
  • 1 x 400g tin black beans, drained (240g when drained)
  • Salt
  • Black pepper
  • 40g cheddar cheese, grated
  • 1tbsp fresh coriander, chopped



  1. Boil the brown rice according to the instructions on the packet.
  2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large, deep frying pan, and cook the onions, garlic and pepper over a medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the cherry tomatoes, along with the chilli powder and paprika, and cook for a few more minutes. Squash the tomatoes a little with your spoon to release their juices. Add the black beans, and season to taste.
  3. When the rice is cooked, drain it and add it to the bean mixture. If the mixture seems a little dry, add a dash of water (you might not need it – it will depend on a few things, e.g. how much liquid your tomatoes released).
  4. When the mixture is hot and well combined, serve topped with the grated cheese and fresh coriander 


.............

First of all, this recipe is obviously foreign.  So, no, I did not follow it to the letter.  I made enough rice for us - I have no idea if it was anywhere close to how much her recipe called for.  I used as much oil as I normally would to sweat the veggies (oh, and EVOO, I don't necessarily fully follow recipes).  I used jarred minced garlic, and pretty much just guessed at how much.  And I learned that apparently coriander is the seed to the cilantro plant (and I hate cilantro - yuck!) and I just used the ground coriander that I already had in the cupboard.  I tell you all this because I want you to know that I don't think you can really mess this recipe up!

Verdict?  Awesome!  Loved it!  The spices gave it this nice red color, and it did NOT look like a burrito bowl from Chipotle, but I loved it!  I paired it with Hint of Lime chips for that extra tang.  Oh my gosh, meatless meals just might become more frequent with this one...  Try it!  And don't be intimidated by the measurements or "fresh coriander".  You can so do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment