Pages

Friday, January 17, 2014

My newly-acquired hatred of scanning slides

I have now scanned over 400 slides this week - and I'm not done.  I can see that the end is near, however, as I only have one carousel and some (some - a few dozen) loose slides to scan.  And when I'm done I will so be ready to recreate the fax-machine scene from Office Space.  (start watching around 0:40 - also, this is the "clean" version, but you can pretty much still tell what the lyrics are - you might want to turn off the sound)


So this morning I timed how long it takes to scan slides.

Our HP Photosmart 3210 All-in-One can scan 4 slides at a time.  It takes 6 minutes to do this.  And that's if everything goes right.  This darn machine has scanned the wrong location, skipped slides all together, only scanned a sliver of the outside - ugh!  Plus, that 6 minutes doesn't include the time it takes to rename those slides once they're scanned...

I just keep telling myself that it is all worth it because now the slides will be on the computer, I will be able to share them, and they will be much more visible!  It is worth it!

And it. is. exhausting.

These slides are all from 1981:
I saw Santa at the Moose Lodge Christmas Party.  Can we all just take a moment to admire the polyester-awesomeness of the outfit on the woman to the left?  The amazing fashion is a great reason to scan in old slides!

I was apparently lucky enough to see Santa twice that year!  This is the school program (Tina was in school, I was not).  Remember, back in the day, when schools could have "Christmas" programs, instead of "Holiday" programs?  And when (apparently) Santa could come to those Christmas Programs?

This is one of those slides that our scanner did not want to scan because it was too dark.  I did have to lighten it up a bit, and I'm glad I did.  Who wants to have these two cuties stuck in a box?  Susana & Marcos Alan, you're looking wonderful!

This is a trip that I don't remember, other than remember some of the slides.  We went to the Amana Colonies, Iowa, and the Wisconsin Dells in 1981 - prior to my birthday so I wasn't 4 years old yet which is why I can't remember.  What I love about this slide is Mom's description:  "Wisconsin Mountain Range."  I can already hear Loretta laughing all the way from West Virginia...

3 comments:

  1. I was looking for the Like button, but couldn't find it... Well, anyway, I LIKE this post!!!!!

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laughing out loud looking at these slides with you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Wisconsin Mountain Range"....you funny girl...you make me laugh...hahahahaha!!!

    Lovin' looking at the old pics...keep 'em coming! :)

    ReplyDelete