Pages

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

PB & J Oatmeal and Day 1 of my Stay-cation: How it went.

I found this guideline (not really a recipe) for PB&J Oatmeal on SparkPeople.com:

Cook 1/2 cup oats according to package directions, using milk or water. Top with 2 Tbsp peanut butter, 1 Tbsp all-fruit jam & 1/2 cup raspberries. Serve with milk, if desired.

Well, our quick oats are no longer in their container, so I didn't have directions.  I had to wing it.  And because I winged it, I had to add milk about 3 times so that I wouldn't have to cut the oatmeal with a knife.  :-)

I am used to my oatmeal either being in a small package from Quaker, or smothered & covered with brown sugar and maple syrup.  When you have plain oatmeal with nothing added, it does not taste like either of those things.  This is why I chose to add the jelly, even though I was not originally going to do so.

I am glad I did.

We didn't have any "all-fruit jam" as called for, so I just used some strawberry Smuckers.  And I used super chunky peanut butter, and more raspberries than called for because they are awesome.

The result was pretty good.  I'm going to try it with cherries since I am now all out of raspberries.

****************************************

For Christmas Jeff gave me an ulu.  An ulu is the traditional knive of the native Alaskans.  Jeff's mom had a decorative one from when they lived in Alaska, and the Ulu Factory was one of the places that Jeff was very excited to visit when we were in Alaska.  Of course when we were there there were a ton of blue hairs, and it was way to crowded for me, so we ended up leaving without making a purchase.

Fast forward to yesterday.  Since the wooden cutting bowl that came with the ulu needed sanding and protecting, I purchased some food-safe wood oil, grabbed sand paper leftover from re-finishing Rhyanne's side table, and went to town.

I really like using the ulu.  It makes chopping veggies so much faster and more simple.  Now that the cutting bowl is finished to my liking, I believe that I will use it more often!  And Jeff probably will too...

****************************************

So, scanning slides is taking just forever!  I started scanning pictures on the other machine at the same time since it just takes so long...  At this rate, it's a very good thing I took off all week.  I think it will take at least 4 days to finish the project.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment